After a heart shattering break-up, I swore off dating forever. But then I put down my Ben & Jerry's and leapt back into the dating pool. It's a daunting game out there, and I say it all comes down to chemistry.
Or does it? Maybe we have hang-ups or maybe we're just too picky. In 100 dates, I hope to figure out what it is that makes me - and you - 'click.'

Monday 21 June 2010

Day 9: Out of towners


A good girlfriend of mine was raving all week about the trio of boys coming to visit her boyfriend - a pack of Londonners that she insisted I'd love. I'm not one for the English type, so I wasn't getting my hopes up, but I played along.

After an unusually busy day at work, I met this infamous crew for a beer in the Leidseplein sunshine. I show up overloaded with gear, to be greeted by a trio of some of the finest looking gentlemen I have seen in a while. These guys are British I thought? Damn.

We all ordered pints and fell into easy conversation. My friend and I are pretty outgoing women, and these guys were on par, trading stories about crazy travel adventures and describing their hometown in South Africa (They only just moved to London. Whew.)

I'm not going to deny that the South Africa thing made these boys a bit more attractive in some way - I do love a good foreigner. And as I gave them each the once over, there was one of them that caught my eye. Tall, curly auburn hair and lots of personality, L. We were in a pretty big group though, so getting any one on one time with him was hard and before we knew it, it was time to take the party elsewhere.

Because this was the boys' first time to Amsterdam, we decided to hit the Red Light District. At a seedy little bar with the best view of the street happenings, L and I fell into some solo conversation. The more we talked, the more things we discovered in common. He was cute, that's for sure, but there was something else about this guy. He's smart, funny, has a good job, some amazing life experiences and he actually seems genuine. Quite a package.

As the night went on, so did our adventure. Bar hopping on bikes, we tour the city from a strip club to a falafal joint, to a smoky bar in a dark ally – it was a long night.

It's not the best atmopshere to 'meet a man' I know, but this is the kind of adventure I love, and it seems like this guy feels the same way. He's spontaneous, outgoing and just fun to be around.

The night was over before we knew it, and we all ended up at my house to crash. With a couch bed and extra blankets, everyone camped out in the living room. Everyone but L and me.

Now I can't really say how it all happened, but I ended up in bed with L. We cuddled up together, and spent nearly the whole night talking between kisses. There was no funny business, if you know what I mean, but it was one of the most intimate moments I've had. Everything about it was so comfortable, in fact, everything about this guy seems familiar. I don't know when we finally fell asleep, but his arms were still around me when we woke up to his alarm. 7am - they had to catch their plane.

Everyone sleepily gathered up their things and a cab pulls up outside. They all file out with goodbye hugs and kisses, and L is last. He gives me a long, slow kiss. “It was awesome to meet you.”

Calm, casual, he shuts the door behind him. But I can't turn away so fast. Some guy from London saunters into town and gives me butterflies? This isn't like me. But I like it, and I definitely like L. London's not so far away, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment